Tuesday, April 04, 2006

From Hi Tech Girl to Pioneer Woman!

Have mercy!

Have you ever had one of those days when you just get weary of roughin it? LOL
Because of the fast spring thaw around these parts my beautiful innocent little stream beside my house turned into a raging river and scared the bejeepers out of me.

My tiny house is only ten feet away from this gorgeous stream and when I awoke in the middle of the night to the roar of running water ripping through my open window I had the feeling I was in trouble. And sure enough as I checked my sump well in the basement THE WATER WAS RISING a half an inch every half an hour!!!! OMG!! And I had no sump pump! Aiiiiiii.

On pins and needles all night I waited and watched the water rise and then in the morning I placed a call into my builder who was so kind0 to take pity on this pioneer woman and sent over a fellow right away to put in a sump pump...nice fellow Hi Rob! Anyways a flooded basement was narrowly averted.

And then it started to rain...and I had to dig a ditch around my house to keep the water from flooding my front and backyards...and my basement yet again.

And then when I tried to get my car out of the quickly flooding driveway the little car GOT STUCK!!! It took me over an hour to get out of the mud...Have mercy!!! I need a shot of whiskey and will place a call in for loads and loads of much needed gravel to fortify my writer's nest.

Anyone else just have "one of those days"??? Please share cause I'd love to hear it!! Misery loves company. LOL.

jan, nursing a headache...or is it a hangover.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennie Andrus said...

LOL Sorry Jan. Been there, done that. I was 8 months pregnant when our basement flooded because of 3 days of heavy heavy rain in January. The ground was frozen so there was nowhere for the water to go but under the deck and up against the house. Soaked all of our wood, wreaked boxes of stuff stored in the basement, the walls got water damage, and our piano got damaged. And of course there was NOBODY to call. So I had to move everything myself, make a snowbank on the deck to direct the runoff from the roof away from the house and mop the basement so it didn't get to the other rooms. Thankfully my parent's showed up and rigged a tarp because my snowbank wasn't really doing much good.

*snicker* welcome to spring in cottage country.

That stream will be great in a few weeks though.

4:58 AM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Oh, Jan. I'm trying to be appropriately solemn and express my sorrow over your narrow escape, but all I can see is you hunched over a shovel, frantically digging and cursing up a blue streak. *G*

Sorry. I really am. But at least you didn't get flooded. :)

7:10 AM  
Blogger Jan Springer, Erotic Romance Author said...

OMG!! You really were a pioneer woman being 8 months along and lifting all that stuff!!
Thank God for your parents!

By gosh yes spring in cottage country has been an interesting experience I wouldn't miss for the world...it's good writing material too. LOL.

I miss my little innocent stream *sobbing* I bet when it gets really hot in the summer and the stream dries up I'll be looking back on this past week with envy wishing I could dive into that ice cold water. LOL.

j

7:55 AM  
Blogger Jan Springer, Erotic Romance Author said...

Sherrill!

You've brought the memories all rushing back again. *jan reaching for another whiskey* So you heard me cursing eh? Ooops.

Did I mention it was raining cats and dogs as I was digging the trench? Oh man if only I'd had someone to take a picture!!! LOL.

I felt like I was in the Cottage country Twilight Zone. ;-)

j

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker